String Sensation

Be inspired to create sweet tunes with Noelle Cassandra, Asia’s only harpist-singer-songwriter.
By Angel Constantino
Photos by Patrick Martires

Published: Candy Magazine, January-February 2010
Section: My World

FAST FACTS
Full name: Noelle Cassandra
Birthday: June 25
Nothing makes me happier than: sharing my original songs with a good audience.
Five words to describe me: determined, funny, athletic, quiet, loyal
My idols are: my mom and my music mentors.
If I could go to any place in the world, I would visit: Vancouver, to see all my childhood friends and family.
Claim to Fame: Awit and Aliw Awards Finalist, Yonex Badminton Doubles and Mixed Doubles Champion
Tips for being a top musician:
1. Be passionate.
2. Practice, pray, and work hard!
3. Take time to relax so you don’t burn out.

On playing the harp
I started playing the harp when I was four. Every day before school, I would wake up half an hour earlier to practice. It just became a way of life. In 2004, I graduated from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver with a Bachelor of Music. I moved to the Philippines in 2005 and the experience has been good so far. People usually brand the harp as instrumental or classical music, but the type of music I play is mellow pop. It was a bit of a struggle to come out and say, “I’m a singer and I write songs too, and I want to share my music with all of you.” But I managed to do it!

On composing songs
I composed my first song when I was 17. I love sharing my music with others—it’s like my diary. You can tell exactly how I was feeling when I wrote it, so it’s really personal. It’s a challenge to make a song good enough to touch people while portraying exactly what it is you want to share. I also like to make it sound a bit different on the harp so that people will think, “Wow, I've never heard that before!”

Read more about Noelle Cassandra in Candy's Jan-Feb 2010 issue or log on to www.noellecassandra.com. Plus, watch a video of her playing the harp and singing Taylor Swift's "Love Story" on Candy TV!
That's me and Mimi trying to rock the harp and organ :)

0 comments:

Copyright © 2010 Goddess of Light v.2

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP